Should we filter tap water?
If you are wondering if you should filter your tap water, this is an article to solve your problems. Why do we need to filter tap water? Isn’t it already filtered by municipal companies?
Well, even if your water might seem clean, many contaminants can not be seen. Your tap water comes through miles of pipeline, picking up contaminants on the way. Besides, the disinfection process leaves behind chemicals that can be potentially carcinogenic.
According to the EWG’s research, in 2020 85% of the population was drinking tap water with over 300 contaminants— and most of it was not regulated by the EPA.
These are just the reasons related to your health, with a water filter your water will taste better and you’ll save up each month.
UnderSink Water Filters
The under-sink attaches to the pipes under your sink, purifying the water before it gets to the tap. This system will clean out more harmful substances like – volatile organic chemicals and metals.
You can get one that filters the specific contaminants that your water supply might have. Some municipal or well waters might be high in lime, arsenic, or nitrates and you can get filters that specialize in filtering these contaminants.
The most indicated is to buy a water filter with two steps, one for filtering sediments and chlorine, and another to filter toxic chemicals.
The two most common under-sink filters are reverse osmosis and distillation. They have two main problems :
- they are slow and may not produce enough water and
- along with the contaminants, they filter out important minerals
But this problems are nothing when compared with the benefits you’ll have with it:
- You’ll save money because they are practically maintenance-free
- You can reduce the plastic waste. – About 7 billion plastic water bottles end up every year in landfills and in our oceans. Around 400,000 barrels of oil are also used to manufacture plastic water bottles.
- It will protect you and your family from all sorts of health issues caused by water, it will remove sediment, rust, sand and dirt, and some bacterias like Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
- It will improve the taste of your water because it filters the Chlorine. Chlorination is one of the treatment methods used to clean water, but it leaves an odd taste and odour in your water.
Are under sink water filters worth it?
Yes! Under-sink water filters are as low maintenance as you can get when it comes to filtration, they don’t use neither electricity, like a distiller, nor water, like reverse osmosis, so they’re economical performers with a basic simplicity that makes them almost maintenance-free.
That means you can say goodbye to your pitcher filters and bottled water bills.
An undersink water filter unit plus installation service will cost about $220.00 to $500.00. If you add that with the total tap water consumption, in 6 months you’d only be paying about $227.20 to $507.20.
You’d be able to save about $683.60 to $403.60.
What is the best under the sink water filter?
Before buying your undersink filter you need to know what type of contaminants your water has. Here’s a brief about this topic:
- Taste/odor improvement: Activated Carbon.
- General Chemical Reduction, including chlorine or chloramines: Activated Carbon, including specialty carbons designed especially for enhanced chloramine reduction.
- Lead and Heavy Metal Reduction: Activated carbon with metals removal resin added, or KDF/Activated carbon combination.
- Arsenic Reduction: Activated Alumina or Arsenic reduction cartridge with iron oxide or anion resin.
- Fluoride Reduction: Activated Alumina.
- Nitrate Reduction: Special Anion resin cartridge, nitrate selective.
- Hardness Reduction: Cation resin cartridge.
- Sediment Reduction: Wound string, pleated polypropylene, or spun polypropylene cartridge. A variety of micron sizes are available.
- Cyst (Giardia/Cryptosporidium) Reduction: A tight (one micron absolute or tighter) sediment filter, a ceramic filter, or a carbon block filter with cyst removal certification.
- Bacteria Reduction: Ceramic cartridge.
- pH Increase: Calcite cartridge.
- Mineral Reduction: Deinonizing cartridge.
- Hydrogen Sulfide Odor Reduction: Activated Carbon or Carbon/KDF.
TOP 5 Undersink Water Filters of 2020
iSpring US31 3-stage Under Sink Water Filtration System
- Remineralization Layered Filtration: Exclusively designed to restore the natural alkalinity and mineral balance of water; this reliable and ultra-safe Reverse Osmosis (RO) water filtration system converts your water into clean, pure and healthy drinking water by removing up to 99% of over 1, 000 harmful contaminants like chlorine, fluoride, lead (removes up to 98%), arsenic, asbestos, sodium, calcium and more.
- BENEFITS The iSpring RCC7AK water softener includes an additional sixth stage – an Alkaline Remineralization filter which restores healthy minerals and produces a balanced alkalinity which gives your water a more natural taste than regular 5 stage RO water filter the RO membrane removes not only harmful pollutants but also a few helpful minerals As a result a standard 5 stage RO system produces slightly acidic water with a pH of 7 0 or below
- FEATURES Beautiful European-Style kitchen faucet Transparent 1st stage housing for easy visual inspection Three extra long life pre-filters to remove large contaminants and protect RO membrane Ultra fine (RO) filter to remove contaminants down to 0 0001 microns fine GAC filter to provide final polishing to the purified water and (AK) filter to finally restore just the right proportion of healthy minerals and a natural alkaline balance The end result is great-tasting bottled-water quality
- EASY DO IT YOURSELF INSTALLATION The water purifier is designed for do-it-yourself installation and all necessary parts for installation are included backed by clear well-organized written instructions instructional videos and access to iSpring unparalleled technical support The entire alkaline water filter fits nicely under a standard kitchen sink For leak-free installation simply push tubing ½ inch deep into quick-fitting connectors and lock no threading pipes needed
- 100% SATISFIED CUSTOMERS RCC7AK from America’s favorite brand of under sink water filter is the No 1 rated reverse osmosis systems in the USA backed by iSpring extended manufacturer upon registration at 123filter DOT com / and lifetime personalized support line 678-261-7611 from Alpharetta GA combined with premium quality components this water filter is to deliver endless bottled quality drinking water right in your home for many years to come eliminating plastic bottles
CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter
- INCREDIBLE CAPACITY/LIFETIME: Up to 5 Years per filter! CuZn Backs The UC-200’s Long Lasting Performance with a Comprehensive 5 year Pro-Rated Performance Warranty and 90 day Satisfaction Guarantees. The UC-200 is Designed for use with MUNICIPAL WATER ONLY – DO NOT USE WITH PRIVATE WELL WATER. The UC-200 is a Water Purification System, it is NOT A WATER SOFTENING SYSTEM. The CuZn UC-200 will not resolve issues caused by water being excessively hard (such as lime scale mineral deposits).
- NO THIRD FAUCET HASSLE & SIMPLE TO INSTALL: Connects Directly to your Kitchen Sink’s Cold Water Line. Only Takes a Few Minutes. All You will Need is an Adjustable Wrench for Tightening Connections. NEW Install Video Instructions Available, See Product Description for Details. QUESTIONS or NON-STANDARD Under Counter Plumbing!? Send us an Email or Call CuZn’s Customer Support Team @ 800.345.PURE (7873)
- 3 STAGE FILTRATION PROCESS: Micro Sediment Membranes, KDF-55 & Coconut Shell Carbon. The UC-200’s Process Purifies the Water Without Removing Health Beneficial Hardness Minerals, The UC-200 DOES NOT REDUCE TDS READINGS, a PPM or TDS Meter is NOT Effective for testing. To Monitor The UC-200 with Testing, Utilize DPD#1 Chlorine Test Strips and Replace when Chlorine Breakthrough is detected. Want TDS Removal? Search ASIN# B019N7VG1W on Amazon to View CuZn’s Reverse Osmosis System.
- BACTERIOSTATIC FILTRATION SYSTEM: Unlike Carbon Only Filters, The UC-200 is Bacteriostatic and Not Susceptible to Mold or Bacteria Growth
- COMPREHENSIVE SUPPORT POLICY: The UC-200 is Fitted with 3/8″ Male Compression Inlet/Outlet Fittings & comes with a 36″ Long 3/8″ x 3/8″ Braided Stainless Steel Compression Hose. Have Non-Standard Plumbing or an Alternative Installation in Mind (such as dedicated filtered water only faucet)? Contact Customer Support, We’ll Supply an Installation Kit for All Non-standard Installations at No Additional Cost to You!
Clearly Filtered Kitchen Faucet Filtration System
- WATER FILTER: Our one-of-a-kind 3-stage system is capable of removing harmful contaminants from the tap water right from your faucet. It removes more chemicals and contaminants than the top 5 leading brands COMBINED. Our filtration system installs neatly under your kitchen sink and is independently tested to NSF & EPA standards. It eliminates fluoride, lead, PFOA/PFAS, pharmaceuticals, and pesticides from tap water while retaining natural minerals and nutrients like calcium and magnesium!
- LONG LASTING FILTRATION: Filter sets last an average of 1 year. We recommend filters be changed based on usage; large families change filters approximately every 9 months, small families and couples every 12 months, and single users every 15 months. Millions of Americans drink contaminated water every day which can lead to life-changing health issues. Protect your family’s health by using our filter that removes over 230 harmful chemicals, heavy metals, and contaminants found in your water.
- CLEAN WATER = BETTER TASTE: Tap water often tastes bad because of chlorine, fluoride, copper, heavy metals or sulfur. Our filter improves the taste of your tap water by filtering out all the things that make it taste bad. This will make all of your beverages taste better than ever before! Taste the difference in your coffee, tea, smoothies, lemon-aid, and more! Our filters will help you cut back on waste by providing you with delicious water straight from your sink, no more water bottles!
- EASY TO INSTALL: We built our water filtration system with renters in mind. Our kitchen faucet water filtration system is a non-permanent installation and doesn’t require a plumber, tools or drilling. This filter moves when you do. The leak-proof filter heads have built-in shut-off valves to make changing filters simple, install it under your sink or take it out in under 15 minutes. Remove fluoride, lead, arsenic and over 230 other contaminants by an average of 99.7% from your cold water line.
- BUY NOW LIFETIME GUARANTEE & GREAT CUSTOMER
- SUPPORT: Buy our under the sink water filter today, risk-free.
- We are dedicated to providing healthy water that is free of over 230 different tap water contaminants by an average of 99.9%.
- We guarantee you will love the taste of the clean water straight from your kitchen sink! However, if for any reason you’re not thrilled, let us know, and we’ll give you a full refund. If your water filtration system ever breaks, we will replace it free of charge!
Aquasana AQ-5300.55 3-Stage Under Sink Water Filter
- Instantly Transform Ordinary Tap Water Into Clean, Extraordinary Water – Removes up to 99% of 77 contaminants while leaving healthy minerals so you can drink with confidence. This system will NOT reduce Total Dissolved Solids (TDS).
- High Flow Rate – This system powers through a half-gallon of water every minute. No need to wait for clean water compared to traditional drip filters.
- Cost Efficient & Long Lasting – The most economical filter on the market at less than 10 cents per gallon filtered. Lasts for 6 months or 800 gallons before a replacement filter is needed.
- The Easiest Filter Replacement – Replacements are engineered for ease. No need to disconnect hoses or water lines. Eco-friendly housing easily twists off for snappy replacement!
- Top-Grade Components – Includes first set of filter and all parts required for DIY Installation – No plumber required.
APEC WFS-1000 3 Stage Under Sink Water Filter
- High quality, designed, engineered and assembled in the USA; System built with US MADE super capacity filters for long-lasting dependable filtration
- Guaranteed to remove chemicals (i.e. chlorine), taste and odors. NOT designed for TDS removal
- Premium long-lasting filters used to treat tap water, well water. Provide unlimited refreshing water
- 1 year satisfaction guarantee, with lifetime support by certified WQA water specialist based in CA
- System comes with 100% Lead-Free chrome faucet, plus FDA certified JG food grade tubing to provide safe, odorless, chlorine-free clean water
- Feed Water Pressure: 20-85 psi
How do under the sink water filters work?
The system is under constant pressure so that when the user opens the filter’s faucet at the sink water flows through the filter and out the faucet, it don’t need a storage tank or a connection with a drain.
Undersink water filters have a simple mechanic:
- It starts with a diverter valve pushing water through the filter before it comes out of the kitchen sink.
- The filtered water moves through an exit valve that flows above the sink through a hole.
- Once filtered, the clean drinking supply comes out through a separate faucet head which is installed with the filter
How long do under sink water filters last?
We can’t say with certain how much your filter will last, because all have a finite lifespan. How long they will last is dependent on a number of factors, including:
- Usage: How often the system is being used, and how many cups of filtered water it has produced. High traffic systems will require filter changes more often than others.
- Water quality: How hard the filter has to work to remove contaminants. Local water with more contaminants will wear out filters faster.
- Filter type: Some filters wear out faster than others and need to be replaced more frequently.
Here are some guidelines to changing and monitoring filters:
- Filters used in commercial settings should be changed every 4 to 6 months.
- Filters in residential settings should be changed every 6 to 12 months.
- Reverse osmosis, membranes, and additional alkalisers only need to be changed every 2 years or 4 years, respectively.