[vc_section][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_custom_heading text=”What is Activated Coconut Shell Carbon?
” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Activated carbon is an ancient Roman practice for removing impurities found in water. Today, the filter medium is among the more popular and commonly used in water filtration systems due to its efficiency and effectiveness in eliminating contaminants in tap water all around the world.
Activated carbon is the generic word used to describe a group of carbonaceous absorbents capable of absorbing contaminants and act as purifying agents. There is a wide range of products containing activated carbon used for several cleansing and purifying purposes.
Coconut shell treated with phosphoric acid (H3PO4) is one of the most preferred activated carbon sources because of its micro-pores. With the smallest type of pores in the filter media, larger varieties of VOCs and other contaminants in drinking water gets trapped in the activated carbon, either by physical or chemical attraction. When it comes to durability, the hard substance makes it an ideal carbon for water filtration and a long-lasting type of medium. Above all, a coconut shell is inexpensive compared to other sources of activated carbon.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFrt3e3-TSE”][vc_custom_heading text=”How Does Coconut Shell Make Activated Carbon?
” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Activated coconut shell carbon production comes from a two-step process involving a carbonizing process and activation process.
In the first step, the coconut shells go through the carbonization process to remove the volatiles from the shells. As a result, we convert the shells into char or charcoal full of tiny pores.
The second step involves the use of steam to activate the carbonized coconut shell at high temperatures (1,100° C). When activating carbon, it’s crucial to emphasize the importance of high temperature and the amount of time the carbonized base material goes through the process. Activated carbons get their unique absorption characteristics according to the activation process they go through.
During the carbonization process of the coconut shell, at least 70 percent of the mass of the medium known as volatiles goes off into the atmosphere. The remaining 30 percent of the mass harvested through the open-pit method becomes charcoal.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”What Does Coconut Shell Carbon Remove?
” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Activated coconut shell carbon removes a wide range of contaminants from drinking water, including VOCs and other harmful chemicals. Environmental-friendly coconut shell carbon can get rid of a lot of contaminants present in tap water and private wells. All of the water filter systems use granular activated carbon (GAC) in their filter chambers to eliminate potential contaminants from water sources.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”What is the Best Activated Carbon?
” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Coconut shell comes in at number as the best activated carbon material due to several good reasons. As mentioned above, its tiny pores and large surface makes it a perfect filter medium for physically and chemically attracting contaminants from drinking water. Additionally, its hardness makes it a great medium in modern water purification systems. Lastly, it is a renewable source that makes it a smart base material source for activated carbon.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”Can You Reactivate Activated Carbon?
” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Yes. The reactivation of activated carbon is a possibility. However, the process is both tedious and dangerous. Reactivating activated carbon requires the heating of the carbon material at high temperature (900° C) while releasing the trapped contaminants in the medium. These impurities released from the medium can be highly toxic at high temperatures.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”Does Activated Carbon Remove Bacteria?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]No. Activated carbon will not remove bacteria and other microbial contaminants from drinking water. However, it can absorb herbicides, pesticides, organic contaminants, and other impurities found in tap water.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_widget_sidebar sidebar_id=”cs-2″ title=”Filtration Media List”][/vc_column][/vc_row][/vc_section]