[vc_section][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_gallery interval=”3″ images=”5184″ img_size=”full”][vc_custom_heading text=”What is Mercury?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Also known as quicksilver, mercury is a naturally occurring chemical element with the atomic symbol Hg and atomic number 80. Considered as one of the extremely rare elements found in the Earth’s crust, the shiny, silvery, odorless, liquid metal is the only metal in liquid form at standard temperature and pressure. The trace metalloid element is a popular chemical element used in manufacturing, fertilizers, dental and medical equipment, and pesticides. When combined with other chemicals like chlorine, sulfur, or oxygen, it forms inorganic mercury compounds known as “salts.”[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiWlthrtneU”][vc_custom_heading text=”Is There Mercury in Drinking Water?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]According to the Environmental Protection Agency, there are water sources with trace amounts of mercury. Although it is not considered harmful to human health, inorganic mercury is the most common form of mercury found in water systems in the United States.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”How Much Mercury is Safe in Drinking Water?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]The Maximum Contaminant Level or MCL for mercury in drinking water is set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at 0.002 mg/L. Levels above the regulated water standard for mercury in drinking water may damage the human body, especially if consumed for a long time.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”How Does Mercury Affect the Human Body?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Consuming mercury in drinking water may harm the human body, including damage to the nervous, digestive, and immune system, kidney and lung problems, and other serious health issues. Prolonged exposure to mercury may lead to cancer.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”Does Boiling Water Remove Mercury?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]Although boiling water is good for killing microorganisms in drinking water, health experts advise the use and consumption of bottled water for drinking and cooking. Boiling mercury-contaminated drinking water will not improve the quality or remove the chemical from the water.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”How Do You Remove Mercury from Drinking Water?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left”][vc_column_text]According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the recommended treatment method for removing mercury from your drinking water is through coagulation/filtration, granular activated carbon, reverse osmosis, and lime softening. Adding a reliable whole house water filter system is a smart investment because it can effectively eliminate mercury from tap water or well water. Find a water filtration solution to keep your family safe from mercury and other chemicals found in your water source.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_widget_sidebar title=”List of Contaminants” sidebar_id=”cs-1″][/vc_column][/vc_row][/vc_section]