What is Endothall?

Endothall is an organic acid with the chemical formula C8H10O5 that is chemically related to cantharidin. The chemical is a noncorrosive, colorless crystal used in the agricultural, commercial, and residential settings as an herbicide. Endothall is the herbicide used to control submerged aquatic plants and algae in ponds, lakes, and irrigation canals.

How Does Endothall Enter the Environment?

The common cause of the presence of endothall in our water systems is through runoff from agricultural sites and water systems using the herbicide to control algae and aquatic plants. Improper disposal of waste and management of the substance may lead to endothall entering our water systems and environment.

What are the Health Effects of Endothall?

Since endothall is toxic, the use of contaminated tap water for cooking and drinking may lead to various health problems, including gastrointestinal issues, throat irritation, heart problems, and even death. Short-term consumption of the contaminated water is still dangerous even if the symptoms are manageable.

What is the Regulated Standard for Endothall in Drinking Water?

The EPA has set the regulated standard for endothall in U.S. water systems at 0.1 mg/L. Higher levels above the regulated standard may result in the abovementioned health risks associated with endothall in drinking water.

How Do You Remove Endothall from Drinking Water?

The most effective treatment for removing endothall to below the MCL is with the use of granular activated carbon. Just like any contaminant, endothall passing through a reliable water filter system gets removed from the tap water. Therefore, water filter systems are wise investments if you want to maintain the quality of the water at home. Look for a water filter unit with high-quality activated carbon media to ensure the safety of your family.

List of Contaminants

50% Off Select Filtration Systems

Simple Water Test Kits

Click the image below to browse all available test kits to make sure your homes water supply is not toxic...
SUBSCRIBE
Weekly newsletter

Make Sure Your Water Is Safe To Drink.